On 8 Jun 2008, at 01:23, Bill Bumgarner wrote:

One of the tenets of GCC is that *it controls the layout of the stack always* and this is done quite explicitly because of performance.

I think this is the crucial point when considering how any GC will work with gcc.

If gcc controls the stack, it's impossible for the programmer to dictate what is in the root set. They can make some suggestions, and possibly influence it with hacks (such as [data self]), but absolute control is ceded to the compiler.

It's a fundamental truth for any GC on top of gcc, and one that makes the job of writing the GC one I wouldn't ever want. I don't think it's possible to make a 100% fool proof GC without more compiler support, or internal pointer support (which is non-trivial).