On Jun 11, 2008, at 3:10 PM, Jason Bobier wrote:

The issue that I'm having is that I'm using NSTask to create a syslog process with the -w option to continually parse specific syslog entries. The problem is that if there are too few entries, I never receive the notification.

I understand that along the way, something is buffering the data. How do I turn that off?

I believe that this is out of the control of your Cocoa process. It's under the control of the child syslog process. It might be changing its behavior based on whether its output is going to a tty device, but I'm not sure.

You should consider using the ASL (Apple System Log) API, instead. It's Apple's more modern replacement for syslog. For backward compatibility, I believe it's hooked into syslogd, but ASL is the "native" logging facility. There's a great series of blog posts about ASL here: <http://boredzo.org/blog/archives/2008-01-19/next-week-apple-system-logger >.

Good luck,
Ken