Oops… I should have called it genericTfor etc as in:

func intFor(s:String) -> Int {

    return Int(s)!

}

func genericTFor<T>(s:String) -> T {

    return T(s)!

}

let intFromStr = intFor("9")
let intFromStrB:Double = genericTFor("9")

 in other words, write a generic function that will return an Int, Double for a
given string value, depending upon the input i.e. T