Well, there is something to be said for simplifying the code!!!

I got rid of all the notification  code, and substituted this in each
controller that needed access to the managedObjectContect

> Just show me how to do that in Swift :)

lazy var managedObjectContext:NSManagedObjectContext! = {

        let appDelegate = NSApplication.sharedApplication().delegate as!
AppDelegate
        return appDelegate.managedObjectContext

        }()

There is one question now…. :-)

Would you make the   child view controllers of the splitViewController a
subclass of the splitViewController, or just of an NSViewController?

So, should the hierarchy be :

mySplitViewController  : NSSplitViewController
|                                |
|                                |
|                                |
|                                |
|                                |
|                                |
Child1 :??                Child2:??

Should be ?NSViewController, or mySplitViewController?