I don't know if this information can solve your issue directly, but I used
it to fix my issue last week. I have a custom NSScroller that had jerky
scrolling. I didn't realize that views have an ".animator()" proxy that you
can use instead.

NSAnimationContext.beginGrouping()
NSAnimationContext.currentContext().duration = seconds

clipview.animator().setBoundsOrigin( clipview_pt )

NSAnimationContext.endGrouping()

Probably common knowledge, but I haven't done heaps of animations in Cocoa.
So, by setting my clipview bounds using the animator it glides to the
correct point. Hope it's relevant for your project.