On Jun 15, 2008, at 3:53 PM, James W. Walker wrote:

On Jun 15, 2008, at 3:25 PM, Andreas Monitzer wrote:

On Jun 16, 2008, at 00:20, James W. Walker wrote:

Is there a standard Cocoa design pattern or idiom to have an object find out when another object has been destroyed? In PowerPlant, I'd use LBroadcaster and LListener, with the listener listening for msg_BroadcasterDied.

What about using NSNotificationCenter?

Thanks, it looks like that would work. Somehow I was under the impression that notifications were, uh, broadcast more broadly than I wanted, but now I see that you can register to receive notifications only for a specific object.

If using the new Objective-C garbage collection is an option, you could also use a zeroing weak reference: see <http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Cocoa/Conceptual/GarbageCollection/Articles/gcDesignPatterns.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40006762-SW10 >

--Chris N.