I don't know anything about these methods. But in colour space work,
"retagging" would usually mean changing the attached colour profile without
changing the pixel values.

For example, if an image starts as AppleRGB, it could be tagged as sRGB.
This is not a conversion. The pixel values, numbers, are unchanged. So the
meaning of the pixel values, now interpreted as sRGB rather than AppleRGB,
would change, and the colour would shift. At a push "retagging" an untagged
image would give a specific meaning to the pixels rather than a
default/device dependent meaning.

So (pure speculation) maybe creating as CalRGB would create it with some
unknown/default profile and you can later tag it. That would imply that the
main job of colorSpaceName is to deliver information on the number of
components, rather than how to colour map.