On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 10:52 AM, Josh de Lioncourt
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Thanks for the advice.  Being visually impaired, I haven't been able to find
> *ANY* up-to-date Cocoa/Objective C books in an accessible format.  I have a
> couple of books that were written around 2002-ish, but have been hesitant to
> delve into those before being able to determine how much of what they teach
> is no longer applicable.  The other drawback to these books is they rely
> heavily on Interface Builder, which Apple hasn't yet made accessible with
> their VoiceOver technology.  That shuts me out of GUI development with IB,
> forcing me to rely on using code for what little GUI I do need, something
> not covered in these books either.  I do have some sample code for building
> a GUI, and I plan to draw from it, but seems exceptionally complex.

That makes life a lot more complex - IB is the 'main line' of most mac
app development, so not being able to use it will make things harder.

For what it is worth, though, I really would try to learn ObjC and
Cocoa for your UI.  That UI may very quickly call back to your cross
platform C++ code, but ObjC is in your future if you want to deliver a
good mac app.  The language is not that hard, really, so you will
spend most of your time learning the Cocoa APIs.

There are Ruby, Python, and Perl bindings for ObjC, but based on
hallway conversations with people using those, you will still need to
be able to understand the ObjC core language to figure out Apple's
sample code.  The leg up these other bindings give you will be
somewhat reduced if you do not already know the appropriate language
well.

You might want to contact Apple's Developer Relations group to see if
they have any suggestions.  They certainly do not want to become known
as an impairment-hostile company, given how much effort they put into
accessibility in the OS itself.

> As you can see, I have a multitude of obstacles to work through. :)
>
> And, you know, if anyone is out there who would like to take me under their
> wing for a few days off list and try to get me up to speed, I'd not object.
> LOL.

You might want to contact Aaron Hillegas of Big Nerd Ranch, to see if
he has ever run his Cocoa training class with someone with similar
accessibility needs.  The training is not cheap, but it is incredibly
valuable.  Aaron is a wonderful teacher, according to the half dozen
people I know personally who have taken his course.  He is also a
great guy on a personal level.