On Jun 17, 2008, at 1:19 PM, Andy Klepack wrote:

I have an NSSlider and while the drag is in progress I would like to display the value in a text field. When the drag completes I would like the new value to get set in the user preferences and an action executed.

As far as I can tell I'll have to set the slider to send its action continually in order to find out that value has changed. If that's so then I would need a way to determine whether the drag had completed and then behave appropriately.

Am I wrong, is there actually some sort of delegate method like "valueDidChange:" that could be used to differentiate the drag events from the drag-complete event? If I do have to do the determination in the action itself how would I find out that the drag completed?

This is probably a common usage pattern for a slider but I haven't found any previous discussion. Ideally I'd like to display the value and its changes in a tooltip as the user drags but that also has proven difficult to do.

Bindings? Perhaps I didn't understand your question, since nobody else has suggested this, but couldn't you bind the value of the slider to a controller, and it set the user preferences / execute the action in the accessor method?

Omar Qazi
Hello, Galaxy!
1.310.294.1593