I have not used glut for any OS X based projects, but my impression is
that if you intend to use no OS facilities in the window you are
interacting with then glutKeyboardFunc() and friends should work just
fine. If you want to use a WebView or anything that expects NSEvents
in that window you are probably going to find it much more
complicated. Instead of just consuming the incoming NSEvents you want
and passing on the rest you will need to synthesize NSEvents for
anything you want to pass on.

In general mixing and matching event models is a lot more pain than it
is usually worth. If you are going to write a pure OpenGL based
application then glut will probably serve you well, if you intend to
use any Cocoa facilities (such as WebKit) you are going to have to
work with the native event system at some point along the way, and I
suspect converting glut style events into something the rest of the
stack can use is a lot more (platform specific) code than just
extracting what you want from the NSEvents in the first place.

Louis