On 6 Oct 2016, at 10:43, dangerwillrobinsondan...@gmail.com wrote:

> Pretty sure the reason is a simple one.
> If you look at the history of open source in the OS on the Apple open source
> page, you'll notice they pretty much bump the ICU version they use annually.
> Although unlikely, ICU might change in ways that breaks your app. They don't
> want to support ICU directly. It's a pretty tough API in C or C++

Also, historically, C++ ABI compatibility has been a thorny issue.  Even now,
if you want a C++ dynamic library to provide binary compatibility you have to
be pretty careful.

ICU is largely a C++ library.  It does have a C interface, but I’m not sure the
entire feature set is available without using C++, and ICU explicitly doesn’t
provide for binary compatibility at the C++ API level (or even for some of its
C API(!)) - see

http://userguide.icu-project.org/design#TOC-ICU-Binary-Compatibility:-Using-ICU-as-an-Operating-System-Level-Library

Kind regards,

Alastair.