On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 11:01 PM, P Teeson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> What appealed to me about the NSButton was it maturity as an interface item
> and I wanted to take advantage of that.

This is a double-edged sword: I for one would find it unsettling if a
standard-looking button started behaving differently. If I saw a
button stay 'pressed' I'd assume I'd be seeing the spinning beach ball
in a few seconds' time. I much prefer the idea of disabling the button
after it's pressed. This is becoming fairly standard UI in the
HTML/AJAX world (so that servers don't get confused by the same
request twice), though I don't much like them for that (because how do
I try to repeat the transaction if the network fails?)

> I thought making another variant of it was cleaner.

Another visual variant would be much cleaner -- preferably one which
mimics the physical characteristics of a real latch. E.g. a horizontal
switch like that of Time Machine, with a little catch that falls into
the gap once the switch is thrown to prevent it being moved back.

You might also want to ask about this on mac-gui-dev
(http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/mac-gui-dev/). People there take a
great deal of trouble over user interfaces!

Hamish