Hi all.

As a relative newbie I'm eager to learn but my biggest stumbling block is understanding that the XCode's Help>Documentation actually means; can someone guide me?

For example, if I want to put a substring of a larger string (eg. "ertyu" from "qwertyuiop") into a second field, I search the documentation and come across a thing under NSString called getCharacters:range. I assume this will do the job as it seems to get characters from a string as specified by a range; I then look at the usage information which reads:

- (void)getCharacters:(unichar *)buffer range:(NSRange)aRange

My challenge is that I don't know what this means or how to convert this into actual code. So I have to keep guessing which surely can't be the preferred way to learn!

So I try:

[newField setStringValue:[NSString getCharacters:buffer range:2,3]];

..and am told:

error: 'buffer' undeclared
warning: 'NSString' may not respond to '+getCharacters:range:'

..so I try:

[newField setStringValue:[NSString getCharacters:2,3]];

..and am told:

warning: 'NSString' may not respond to '+getCharacters:'

.. so I try:

[newField setStringValue:[NSString getCharacters:buffer range:2-3]];

..and am told:

error: 'buffer' undeclared
warning: 'NSString' may not respond to '+getCharacters:range:'

..and so on.

I'm a newbie; I'm still learning how to do simply stuff like add two numbers together, display 'hello world' and so on! What I could really do with is the documentation giving examples.

Can anyone explain how I can 'decode' the usage information shown in the documentation into real code? Not just for this example, but in general.

If I can't understand this, I fear I'll spend most of my time asking others how to achieve the most basic of tasks.

Thanks.

Phil