Hi Chris,

On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 3:33 AM, Chris Suter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> It sounds to me like you've got some kind of timing issue and that the delay
> that you're adding is merely hiding the true cause of the problem. Are you
> able to post a simple test case that displays the problem or post the code
> that you're using when you set things up?

I've posted a simple test case at:

$ svn checkout
http://hamish-cocoa-dev-examples.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/DistributedObjectsTest
DistributedObjectsTest

The README file explains the class layout. Any insights gratefully appreciated.

The documentation at
http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Cocoa/Conceptual/DistrObjects/Tasks/configuring.html
has the following to say about callbacks:

"Warning: Because independent conversation queueing causes remote
messages to block where they normally do not, it can cause deadlock to
occur between applications. Use this method only when you know the
nature of the interaction between two applications. Specifically, note
that multiple callbacks between the client and server are not possible
with independent conversation queueing."

The implication here is that callbacks are expected to be nested (i.e.
the callback is made before the vended object method returns), and
indeed, in my test app with DISTRIBUTED_OBJECTS_TEST_CODEPATH set to 1
or 4 there is no "connection went invalid" warning. However, there are
other codepaths that give no warning despite the callback not being
nested. It's a mystery to me!

Many thanks,
Hamish