On 31 Jul '08, at 10:24 AM, Joseph Kelly wrote:

I'm noticing that whenever my -drawInContext gets called (in response to calling -setNeedsDisplay) that there appears to be an actual animated fade-out / fade-in of of the old content and the new content. I do not see this transition effect documented anywhere, so I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong. Or, if this is the correct behavior, how do I turn it off?

The content of a layer is an animatable property, so by default, changing the content will do a crossfade. It seems that applies to custom content (drawn by -drawInContext:) as well as the "content" property.

There are a couple ways to suppress animations. You can use the CAContext API to disable all animations while you make your changes, or you can use the layer's "actions" dictionary to override the animation for the content transition.