Hi Hamish,

On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 10:16 PM, Hamish Allan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 3:33 AM, Chris Suter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > It sounds to me like you've got some kind of timing issue and that the
> delay
> > that you're adding is merely hiding the true cause of the problem. Are
> you
> > able to post a simple test case that displays the problem or post the
> code
> > that you're using when you set things up?
>
> I've posted a simple test case at:
>
> $ svn checkout
> http://hamish-cocoa-dev-examples.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/DistributedObjectsTest
> DistributedObjectsTest
>
> The README file explains the class layout. Any insights gratefully
> appreciated.

The reason you're seeing the error is because as soon as you receive the
response in your client, you're printing it and terminating the application
but the server is expecting a response (even though the method has a void
return value). I suspect the reason it works when you use
performSelectorWithDelay: is that the runtime knows that no response is
expected and so the message is sent asynchronously (i.e. as if you'd
specified oneway).

To fix it, add the oneway qualifier to your setAnswerText: method.

I think it would also be prudent to make sure that the client shuts down
gracefully, i.e. call [connection invalidate] at least.

You might want to go through your other methods and consider whether the
oneway qualifier should apply. You could do the same for "bycopy".

-- Chris