I've solved it, finally.  My mistake was not realizing that the
(WebView *)sender being passsed into webViewShow: is the CHILD
webView.  I needed to act on the parent webView before things got that
far.

I added the call to addChildWindow:ordered: and things work perfectly.
 Move the main window, and the popup moves right with it.

- (WebView *)webView:(WebView *)aSender
createWebViewWithRequest:(NSURLRequest *)aRequest {

        MyDocument *theDocument = [[NSDocumentController
sharedDocumentController] openUntitledDocumentOfType:@"MyDocumentType"
display:YES];
    [[[theDocument webView] mainFrame] loadRequest:aRequest];

        //put the parent child stuff here
        [[aSender window] addChildWindow:[[theDocument webView] window]
ordered:NSWindowAbove];

    return [theDocument webView];
}

aSender is the parent webView that is passed into the method
[aSender window] is the parent webView's window

theDocument is the child document object
[[theDocument webView] window] is the child document's webView's window