I am having difficulty understanding the issues involved in image drawing speed.

I have a large, ~10K x 10K image in a scrolling view. The image is loaded as a PNG file into an NSImageView from a nib. I am getting large differences in the image drawing speed that I do not understand. The image at a resolution of 72dpi, at the default settings as loaded from the nib, draws very,very slowly.

If I change the size of the image either larger or smaller, drawing rate increases dramatically. If I change the resolution from 72dpi to 96dpi, for example, but not the total pixel count then the image drawing rate also improves greatly.

Can someone provide some guidance as to what is happening?

Many thanks,

RickB