Using NULL would make your code easier to read, setting
a variable to NULL makes it obvious that a variable is a pointer,
at least in C, NULL does not have to be 0, 0 could be a valid pointer
value*, and NULL
some other invalid value, many people got in the habit of writing

if (!foo)

sure the compiler will automagically convert 0 in a pointer context to
an invalid pointer value,
plus preprocessor turns NULL back into 0 which is then recognized by the it

using NULL or nil (ObjC) is the recommended way, when referring to a pointer

for the tip an uninitialized variable is not really nothing

--
-mmw