On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 12:21 AM, Thomas Davie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On 21 Aug 2008, at 09:06, Jules Colding wrote:

>>> They differ in type, not in value.
>>>
>>> "NULL" is (void *) 0.
>>> "nil" is (id) 0.
>>> "Nil" is (Class) 0.
>>>
>>> Personally, I prefer "if (!foo)" over "if (foo == nil)", because the
>>> latter has the hazard of a typo that compiles.  You can lose a fair bit of
>>> time staring at "if (foo = nil)" before you spot the mistake.
>>
>> Which is why you should always write "if (nil == foo)".
>
> Just to add my 2 cents to this discussion, I think there's something which
> hasn't been brought up (and I guess isn't often brought up by C
> programmers).
>
> One of the two options doesn't make sense here.

It may not make sense to those who aren't used to C (or, more
accurately, are *more* used to another language), but it makes perfect
sense to C programmers (just as [foo method: bar] doesn't make sense
to C programmers, but makes perfect sense to Obj-C programmers).
Different languages have different idioms. C programmers likely tend
not to bring it up, because it is second nature to them.

> Because of C's weak type system ! works on almost anything you throw at it.
>  However, it is a *boolean* operator.  Boolean negating a pointer is a hack
> that by happy coincidence works.

This is not a "hack" or a "coincidence", this is by design. A non-NULL
pointer *is* a boolean expression that evaluates to true, just as a
non-zero integer is. Again, it doesn't work by coincidence, it is a
guarantee of the language standard.

Note, that the same is true in C++, which has a much stronger type
system than C.

--
Clark S. Cox III
[EMAIL PROTECTED]