Am Do,21.08.2008 um 16:15 schrieb Michael Ash:

On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 6:47 AM, Negm-Awad Amin <[EMAIL PROTECTED] > wrote:

Am Do,21.08.2008 um 12:25 schrieb Thomas Engelmeier:

Am 21.08.2008 um 11:04 schrieb Negm-Awad Amin:

Sometimes you see in source code something like this:
if( booleanVarOrExpression == YES )
(I think, Rentzsch does it that way, IIRC) and Ithink, that this is
simply correct.

Oh, that is another discussion.

Yeah, but connected

It is antoher discussion in that way, that we have other types. (BOOL vs.
type of logical expression in C)
It is the same discussion in that way, that most programmers make some
assumptions about the value (and the casting).

(I bet, that 10 % believe, that the expression inside the if is typed BOOL)

I'd be very surprised at this, given that BOOL is found only in
Objective-C, and if statements are found in C.
IIRC this depends on the concrete standard?

Doing this is absolutly correct.
BOOL var = …; // Something evaluating to YES or NO
if( var == YES )

It's "correct" in that it is a legal language construct and it has
well-defined results. But it is incorrect as far as doing what most
people would want it to do. Consider this:

BOOL var = 2;
If somebody wants to do this, he does something wrong. 2 is no valid assignment for a BOOL.

if(var == YES)

That if statement will evaluate to false, even though the value of
"var" is conceptually true.
There is no "conpetionally true". BOOL has the valid values YES and NO, not 2, not CONCEPTIONALLYYES.

("True" in C meaning anything that is not
zero.)
This is not a BOOL. *You* said, that there is no bool in C. An if takes no BOOL, but the type of an logical expression.

For this reason, I recommend never comparing with YES.
You should recommend, to assign never something else then YES or NO to a BOOL. *This* is wrong.

If you
are mentally unable to simply write "if(var)",
I'm not mentally unable to write that and I said, that I do that.
"However I use the simple condition (without == YES), too – for convenience."

then I recommend using
"if(var != NO)". I consider any code that compares against YES as you
wrote to have a bug.
No,
BOOL var = 2;
has a bug.

a simple

BOOL var = …; // Something evaluating to YES or NO
if( var )

is a very good hidden implicit cast from BOOL to logical expression.

There is no "hidden implicit cast". The if statement simply checks its
contents for truth or falseness,
No, it checks for == 0 or != 0.
BOOLs contain YES and NO.

which is to say that it checks it for
zero or non-zero.
Yup, and *not* for YES or NO

However I use the simple condition (without == YES), too – for convenience.
Your code then has a bug, in my opinion, and this is likely to
manifest in ways extremely annoying and difficult to diagnose.
No, your code has a bug:
BOOL var = 2;

BTW: This is an implicit cast, too:

BOOL var = a && b;

because the result of the right expression types to logical expression, not
to BOOL.
No, the right side of the expression is typed *int*.
There is no such
C type as "logical expression".
You cannot use it explicitly, but it is a construction of the language. The check of if is on == 0 or != 0. This is less then an int (or whatever you use) and something else than a BOOL.

I recommend you learn more about the C language before you continue
any further, because you have a lot of misconceptions and many of them
are going to cause you to write bad code.
I do not think so. But *I* would never assing 2 to a BOOL. And I'm sure doing so is a misconception.

Cheers,
Amin

Mike

Amin Negm-Awad