On Aug 22, 2008, at 11:09 AM, Jonathan del Strother wrote:

How about having the object post an NSNotification whenever it's
changed?  Your controller can observe the notification & call
setNeedsDisplay accordingly.
If you're posting a lot of notifications at the same time, you might
look at coalescing them
(http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Cocoa/Conceptual/Notifications/Articles/NotificationQueues.html )

I like the suggestion. My concern would be that there would be a lot of extraneous notifications (but maybe it doesn't matter). The orders are in this table while they are being "built" but then once they are scheduled they join a few hundred friends where lots of edits to the order steps occur, but no longer does that concern the view that is the subject of this thread.

But I could always have the objects check to see if they are still in that "order entry" array and not send the notifications if they aren't. I'm sure that violates MVC or something but at this point I'm not sure I'm too concerned.

Thanks!