On 28 Aug 08, at 12:08, Ricky Sharp wrote:
Just to point this out, the sequence of ASCII may not be useful at all if the file is say Unicode. The actual bytes making up each char could be "ASCII" values themselves.

Unicode is a character set, not an encoding. I'm not sure about UTF-16 or other stranger encodings, but I do know that any UTF-8 character below 0x80 corresponds directly to a single ASCII character. This is a design feature of the encoding.