To create a preference window with a NSToolbar at the top and a tabless NSTabView containing a few panels.
How would I go about connecting the two in Interface Builder?

I can set the NSToolbar selector to invoke takeSelectedTabViewItemFromSender on the NSTabView, which seems promising. But it seems that NSToolbar does not respond to indexOfSelectedItem, as it should for this to work.

There are some classes out there that does them - I've tried UKPrefsPanel, which didn't compile. Others require separate NIBs with the panels, which I presume will cause extra work for me on another end.

This is simple enough to work without extra coding, isn't it?