Doug is correct. Check out NSText in the APIs. I used this method just yesterday to size a text view:

-sizeToFit
Resizes the receiver to fit its text.
- (void)sizeToFit
Discussion
The text view will not be sized any smaller than its minimum size, however.
Availability
        •       Available in Mac OS X v10.0 and later.
See Also
        •       – isHorizontallyResizable
        •       – isVerticallyResizable

To prove it to yourself, create a rectangle r, make a textview with r, -insertText into it, check r in debugger, call -sizeToFit, and look at the rectangle now. Horizontal does not adjust automatically, maybe due to wordwrapping concerns?

Paul