Core Animation seems to be one of those subjects that hasn't received a lot
of "air time".

After a considerable amount of experimentation and rebuilds, I found that
the problem was solely with:

        followPath.calculationMode = kCAAnimationPaced;

I guess I had gotten lucky with a previous path animation attempt (a
MoveToPoint and EllipseInRect) when I used the paced calculation
mode because it worked.  According to the CAKeyframeAnimation Class
Reference, although it's available in OS X 10.5, it's not currently
implemented.

After commenting out the calculationMode property of the path, the layers
animate around the arc, but pause briefly at the start/end point of each
arc, making the animation anything but smooth.

I'd appreciate some suggestions (if there's any to be had).  I'd just like
to have my four layers at 12, 9, 6, and 3 o'clock on the path all move
simultaneously and smoothly.

Thanks