Don't want to hammer here too much, but I just want to have any feedback from Apple if this problem is known and if there's any chance to get it fixed.

I've already send some more details to Douglas Davidson month ago that provides here great support I see, but after that I haven't got any more word from him, too bad.

Maybe anyone else from Apple can have a look at this problem.

Just imagine how annoying it is when you write mails in two languages, and you need to restart Mail.app every time you change the spell checker language. And this affects all user that use CheckSpell or CocoaSpell, which are Universe minus AppleSpell provided languages only speaking ppl.

Below are details sent to Douglas:
Get me a copy of your spellchecker and instructions for reproducing the problem (including system version and configuration information) and I will take a look at it.

http://checkspell.apple.eu.org/ or direct download link
http://web.mac.com/heidi17/Heidikowa_witryna/CheckSpell_files/CheckSpell-1.3.dmg

(The author of this service (software) is in the CC. I got direct contact with him as well. Please contact him if you need any information regarding the source-code.)

The installer will create /Library/Services/CheckSpell.service which is spell server based on NSSpellServer Cocoa API. Once it is installed you should see additional languages such as Polski or Cestina. Let's try reproduce the bug with Polish<->English switching.

Try to open Mail.app and write new mail as below:

-------------------------------------
Here below is some Polish sentence.
Tutaj u góry jest tekst po angielsku.
-------------------------------------

1st line should be valid only in English (AppleSpell), 2nd should be valid only in Polish (CheckSpell). Unfortunately when I start writing mail with English spelling, switching to Polish doesn't really make 2nd line valid, I get absolutely no response from Polish spell checker (probably AppleSpell called with "pl" instead of CheckSpell)

Then once the mail is saved and Mail.app restarted, it starts with Polish, everything is fine with the spelling (Polish this time), until switch back to English. Then CheckSpell is complaining that it is getting called with "en" language which it wasn't registered for (AppleSpell should be called).

IMPORTANT CLUE: When I do: "killall AppleSpell CheckSpell" prior running Mail.app, switching spelling languages works somehow fine! So the problem appears when AppleSpell & CheckSpell service processes are already running in the system. So the problem may not appear 1st time when you run Mail.app after installation of CheckSpell, please rerun it once both spelling service processes are running.

So the diagnosis is that once single application using Foundation.framework contacts the NSSpellServer that is already running, it will always use THIS one regardless of selected language and other NSSpellServer that may be proper.

Just as a reminder, I'd like to ask you (Apple) for focusing also the problem of revalidation of spelling on language change. Regardless of the bugs above, there is also slight annoyance with NSTextView based GUIs such as Mail.app that everytime you change the language in Spelling & Gramma window and you got Check spelling as you type ON the spelling is not revalidated with current language, you need to click Next many many times, or scroll your cursor trough whole document in order to make the spelling underline incorrect words in current language. This is also the case when you open the saved mail in Mail.app, incorrect words are not underlined on open.

Opps forgot my configuration:

MacBookPro3,1 2.2GHz 2GB RAM, 250GB HD, MBP31.0070.B07

Mac OSX 10.5.4 w/latest security update, preferred language set to Polish, but I've also checked problem with English.

Problem appears since first time I've installed CheckSpell around Feb 2008 @ 10.5.2.

I got couple of friends that also has this problem with spell checker on other Mac computers.

Regards,
--
Adam Strzelecki