On Sep 12, 2008, at 4:44 PM, Paul Archibald wrote:

So, what is the general outline of properly allocating, initializing and deallocating an application and its elements? Can someone point me to the right documentation? I can't seem to find reference to this subject.

Here's the Memory Management Guide: http://developer.apple.com/ documentation/Cocoa/Conceptual/MemoryMgmt/index.html

Cocoa doesn't bother doing a full release/dealloc of your application object (and the things it owns) at application termination. The principle is that the OS is about to cleanup the whole process's address space in one fell swoop, so there's no point in doing it piecemeal first.

If you need to do work other than memory management (e.g. cleaning up other types of resources), then -applicationWillTerminate: is the right place to do it.

Cheers,
Ken