On Sep 15, 2008, at 6:35 PM, Graham Cox wrote:
What exactly are you trying to do?

I'd say it's not safe, since that usage isn't anticipated, or necessary. If you could perhaps outline why you think you need it a better solution can be suggested.

I've got, say, an info panel that needs to display different stuff based on some object in the responder chain. What I really want to do is search the responder chain for an object that conforms to a specific protocol. I was just picking a method in the protocol as the argument to targetForAction:. I think the "safe" way is to put a dummy "marker" action on the protocol and then search the responder chain for that action. Then, check the target to make sure it actually conforms to the protocol.

-Dave