Thanks Graham.

I have checked your DrawKit demo and indeed everything seems identical
except that your code works and mine does not :)

Well, I ended up with copy/pasting the XIB of your tool palette and
its associated window controller and then completely replacing your
code with mine. Guess what - my code works now :)

I guess there was something wrong inside the XIB, but I haven't
figured out what.

Your DrawKit is helpful as always. Thanks!