On 16 Sep, 2008, at 7:22 PM, Graham Cox wrote:

On 17 Sep 2008, at 11:11 am, Dave DeLong wrote:

because only a couple days ago I had a crash when I tried releasing an already autoreleased object

Yes, because that would be an over-release. release must be balanced by a preceding retain. But once an object has been added to an autorelease pool it is retained by the pool, so there's nothing you can do to deallocate it other than release the pool itself.

Is it actually retained by the pool, or does the pool just delay the final release?

Dave