On 17 Sep 2008, at 20:48, Ted Thibodeau Jr. wrote:

I understood the local cache to be a learning and/or small version
of what would then be done with a remote engine, which would not
be SQLite.

Yes, that is correct. Some of the database transaction will need to be on the client side.
It wont be as simply "a cache".

If he doesn't mind re-implementing whatever he's done locally for
the remote, then yes, learning with SQLite-specific has some value.

If the client app is not the only one interface to the server (for example there might also be a web interface). Then i cant see a reason for using the SQlite api over ODBC. Unless it were much faster and the application was intensive enough to depend upon such performance gain (not a proven thing). And if i implement something once instead of twice, then roughly 1/2 the bugs will appear. If i modify the database schema, or those methods that read/write to the schema then id like to do so in only one place. Less tricky in the long term i agree. So on that point alone i believe Ted has sold me on using ODBC, and even without considering those other advantages he's pointed out here for the heavier DBMSs.

Learning with ODBC to start means that the only change needed will
be in the driver/DSN -- which seems to me to have value in the time
and effort saved...

Your Mileage May Vary, of course.

Be seeing you,

Ted

And these comments - i am especially grateful to hear about the state of these libraries / ODBC Driver etc.
Thank you all