Greetings!

When I mentioned having an image view (in a borderless window) on top of your scroll view, I meant an actual window which has nothing besides an NSImageView inside of it. You would make the window borderless -- so that no title bar or close/minimize/zoom buttons will be displayed -- and then make set the window's alpha such that its background will be only partially opaque. Once you place an image inside the window;s image view, it will appear to "hover" on the screen.

Now, it's entirely possible that this doesn't fit your request. In order to help, may we request a couple of clarifications? First, you say "place an image view on top of the scroller" -- by that you *could* mean a few things. If by "scroller" you mean "scroll view," then the above idea might work; if by "scroller" you mean an NSScroller -- a scroller arrow, or whatever you wish to call it -- then you have a different issue entirely. I am beginning to think that this is what you mean, since you ask about "a button that... can cover the scroller."

If you wish to draw over the arrow, I'm not sure that there's a supported way, short of making your own scroller and implementing its logic entirely from start to finish.

In short, do you wish to draw an image on top of the scrollable view inside the scroll view? or do you want to replace or draw over the *arrow image*?

Thanks!

Cheers,
        Andrew