I'm not sure if I understand your question, but if FillStyle and FillColor are entities, why not simply create corresponding managed objects and set their values, making sure that all of the relations (between color and style, and between style and figure) are established. They will then be automatically stored in the persistent store like any other managed object. As far as I can tell, there is no need to use archiving unless you want to prepare in a special format for another application.