I've been assigned to work on my company's Mac product, which includes a Status Item. One of the things we've noticed is that if you click on a neighboring status item (single click to pop open its menu), and the hover over ours, our menu doesn't open.

Contrast this with the Apple status items: for example, if you click on the time machine item, its menu opens. If you then hover on the speaker item (which is just to the right on my menu bar), the time machine menu closes, and the speaker menu opens. If you go back over the TM item, the reverse happens.

If you do the same on our item, and move to an Apple item, it behaves as expected. If you then move back to our item, it does not re-open.

Note that you can click and hold and experience the same behavior.

Does anyone know what I need to do to get my item to behave properly (that is, open its menu when the mouse goes over it after having opened a neighboring menu)?

TIA,
--
Rick