Just to save some other folk from wasting his time with this:

In my app delegate I've tried to implement the panel:panelSelectionDidChange callback in order to customize our accessory view depending on the current user selection in the browser. Using the stripped down version below for investigating and following what NSLog outputs to the console I found out that my method is not called at all, when the user clicks any of the items under Devices or Places on the sidebar. It is called for items under the Media category, but all directory, filename and URL strings are null.

Code follows:

- (void) panelSelectionDidChange: (id) sender
{
        NSLog( @"Selected directory: %@", [sender directory] );
        NSLog( @"Selected filename: %@", [sender filename] );
        NSLog( @"Selected URL: %@", [sender URL] );
}

Delegate method panel:shouldShowFilename is called for the clicked item, so for our application we are going to cache the last selected item, and watch for changes ourselves (unless of course someone has a better solution to propose).

Submitted as bug:  rdar://6293537

Regards,

Christos Konidaris
Escape OE