I actually went with using NSAllocateCollectable(NSScannedOption) and that seems to be working well. Thanks.

--
Michael

On Oct 15, 2008, at 9:21 PM, Ken Ferry wrote:

Or you could malloc the memory for the buffer (free'ing it when you're done) and disable/enable collection on any objects pointers you store in it that you also want to keep alive. Maybe that's easier to understand.

(Any time you use disableCollectorForPointer is a possible leak, by the way. The object will be rooted until you reenable collection, so don't try to reenable collection from within the finalizer of an object that the rooted object will keep alive. That's an uncollectable cycle.)

-Ken

On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 4:45 PM, Ken Ferry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> What I did try was
> 'NSPointerFunctionsStrongMemory| NSPointerFunctionsObjectPointerPersonality' > which does work even though some of the pointers aren't objects and this
> doesn't seem quite correct but since I'm using GC
> NSPointerFunctionsObjectPointerPersonality seems nearly equivalent to > NSPointerFunctionsOpaquePersonality as long as description isn't called.

I see.. I think it's a bug that NSPointerFunctionsStrongMemory| NSPointerFunctionsOpaqueMemory is rejected.

It's probably not very future safe to add non-objects with the object personality. You might prefer to use NSAllocateCollectable(NSScannedOption) and forego the pointer array. This allocates a chunk of memory that is:

(1) Collected by the collector when unreachable by strong reference chain from a gc-root.
(2) Conservatively scanned.

To keep the memory alive when used as the void* contextInfo, you'd still need to use -[NSGarbageCollector disableCollectorForPointer:].

The main gotcha is that any stores of gc objects into the buffer need to generate write barriers, which are calls into the objective- c library that let the collector know that the the buffer has changed and needs to be rescanned next time a collection runs. This should Just Work provided the type of the buffer is __strong, but you can put doubt to rest by checking that the compiler emitted the function calls. In Xcode, right click and choose "Show Assembly Code", then look for the calls. For example, this

- (void)writeToCollectableMemory:(NSObject *)object {
    int bufferLength = 5;
__strong void **buffer = (__strong void**)NSAllocateCollectable(sizeof(void*)*bufferLength, NSScannedOption);
    buffer[3] = [[NSObject alloc] init];
    …

compiles to this.  objc_assign_strongCast is the function call.

"-[MyBlockOperation writeToCollectableMemory:]":
LFB672:
LM221:
LVL93:
pushl   %ebp
LCFI337:
movl    %esp, %ebp
LCFI338:
pushl   %esi
LCFI339:
pushl   %ebx
LCFI340:
subl    $16, %esp
LCFI341:
call    L245
"L00000000076$pb":
L245:
popl    %ebx
LM222:
movl    $1, 4(%esp)
movl    $20, (%esp)
call    _NSAllocateCollectable
movl    %eax, %esi
LM223:
movl    L_OBJC_SELECTOR_REFERENCES_3-"L00000000076$pb"(%ebx), %eax
movl    %eax, 4(%esp)
movl    L_OBJC_CLASS_REFERENCES_0-"L00000000076$pb"(%ebx), %eax
movl    %eax, (%esp)
call    _objc_msgSend
movl    L_OBJC_SELECTOR_REFERENCES_4-"L00000000076$pb"(%ebx), %edx
movl    %edx, 4(%esp)
movl    %eax, (%esp)
call    _objc_msgSend
leal    12(%esi), %edx