On 20 Oct, 2008, at 09:15, Nick Zitzmann wrote:
you do all your drawing in -drawRect:, and call -setNeedsDisplay: & friends when you need to refresh part of the view.

Is this a good way of going about it? I subclassed NSView and defined the properties border_colour, fill_colour, and pic. These are initialised to nil. I then implemented drawRect: like this:

- (void)drawRect:(NSRect)rect {

        if( border_colour )
        {
                [border_colour set];
                [NSBezierPath strokeRect:[self bounds]];
        }

        if( fill_colour )
        {
                [fill_colour set];
                [NSBezierPath fillRect:[self bounds]];
        }

        if( pic )
                [pic drawInRect:[self bounds]
                           fromRect:NSZeroRect
                          operation:NSCompositeSourceOver
                           fraction:1.0];
}

Now the controller can change the content of the view by assigning values to the properties.

But it still seems an awful lot has to be decided about the content of the view when the subclassing is done. Or am I missing something simple here?