One of my users recently found conditions under the memory allocated by my app would become huge. I fixed the problem, but I'm wondering why it behaved differently for he and I.

On his MacBook Pro with Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 GB RAM, and 250 GB hard drive with 160 GB free, it would crash after 4 minutes with this:

malloc: *** mmap(size=2097152) failed (error code=12)
*** error: can't allocate region

This crash occured within Cocoa's -[NSDictionary setObject:forKey:] method.

But on my Mac Mini with Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 GB RAM, and 120 GB hard drive with 25 GB free, all other apps became very slow after a few minutes, but my app would not crash, even after even after my app's VM had run up to 1.7 GB.

We're both running Mac OS 10.5.5. Why did malloc say "No more!" on his Mac, but not on mine?

Jerry Krinock