On 29/10/2008, at 2:43 PM, Joel Norvell wrote:

I have a file with some metadata prepended to a pdf.

I want to strip the metadata off and display the pdf.

I was trying to do this:

- (void) loadFromPath: (NSString *) path
{
 NSData *myData = [NSData dataWithContentsOfFile:path];

 NSString *myStr = [[NSString alloc] initWithData:pdfData
                                     encoding:NSASCIIStringEncoding];

 // I strip off the metadata here, leaving the pdfStr.

 // Nothing I've tried here has worked:
 NSData * myNewData = [pdfStr dataUsingEncoding: ???];

 // Display the pdf here...
}

How can I get this to work?

You can't treat a PDF file as a string, it isn't. You must use NSData methods to work with the raw bytes of the PDF to do the stripping of the metadata instead.

Then you would do something like:

PDFDocument* myPDF=[[PDFDocument alloc] initWithData:pdfData];

You can then display the PDFDocument in a PDFView.

--
Rob Keniger