On 31/10/2008, at 10:33 AM, Boon Chew wrote:

Hi all,

I am a newbie to the cocoa world (PC -> Mac switcher). I have a fair amount of experience coding in C and C++ and I am just getting into Obj C now. Right now I am trying to learn the language idioms and patterns in the Obj C world, specifically, when do you find yourself mixing C++ code with your Obj C code in your project? How often do you do that? What's the pros and cons of doing that?

- boon

Welcome to Cocoa with Objective-C!

Any new code I write I always used Objective-C. If I need to mix C++, it's usually because there is some legacy code that I need to support. This happens rarely.

I guess some pros are code reuse and enforcing structured/modular design (for example, I could write my model layer in C++ and write the controller and view layers in Objective-C using Cocoa). I would suspect some cons could be slightly slower compile times, inconsistent coding styles (alternating between similar yet slightly different languages) and missing out on some of the sweet features of Cocoa that Objective-C allows it to implement (key value coding, for example).

Kiel