You would think that would work. I don't know why it doesn't but I've been here before. You have to read the data from the array controller. But there is a way to line up the data from the array controller to match the organization of the table view. This feels like a workaround for not being able to get the data straight from the table view but something like this should work for you...

NSArray *array = [yourArrayController arrangedObjects];
id thing;
NSArray *columns = [yourTableView tableColumns];
id column;
NSMutableString *content = [NSMutableString string];
for (thing in array) {
   for (column in columns) {
      if ([[column identifier] isEqual:@"MediaType"]) {
         [content appendFormat:@"%@,", thing.mediaType];