On Fri, Nov 7, 2008 at 2:12 PM, Chris Idou <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I've got an app which is matching on file types, so I want the user to be
> able to say "show me all the... say... MS-Word documents, or JPeg images" or
> whatever. So I need to present the user with all the possible types their
> system knows about, so they can select what files they are interested in.

IIRC, this question has come up before and there doesn't appear to be
a way to get a list of all known UTIs from Launch Services.

The 10.4 version of Finder appeared to have some private way of
getting this list, however, the list was mostly useless for browsing
through due to the inordinate number of UTIs that applications/bundles
had declared.

Phil