On Fri, Nov 21, 2008 at 4:42 AM, spsaxena <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi all,
> I am working on making my application carbon free. I could not find any
> replacement for the API "GetApplicationTextEncoding" probably because this
> API has not been marked as deprecated yet. Because of this API I need to
> link with the carbon framework which I don't want. Can you please suggest
> any non-carbon API as a replacement for this API.

May I suggest simply removing it and *not* replacing it?

Language-specific text encodings are evil. Sometimes you have to deal
with them, of course. But if you do, then you should already know what
encoding you're dealing with and shouldn't need an API to give you an
"application" encoding. For places where you are able to choose the
encoding, UTF-8 is the only reasonable ASCII-compatible encoding to
use.

Mike