On 04 Dec 08, at 16:39, Ken Tozier wrote:
<snip...>
I tried it out and got the following printout to the console

> inputStream: <NSCFInputStream: 0x13d170>, outputStream: <NSCFOutputStream: 0x13d1e0>
> connection: <MySQLConnection: 0x824800>
> Entered: stream:handleEvent: with sender: <NSCFInputStream: 0x13d170> > NSStreamEventErrorOccurred: Error Domain=NSPOSIXErrorDomain Code=61 "Operation could not be completed. Connection refused" > Entered: stream:handleEvent: with sender: <NSCFOutputStream: 0x13d1e0>

Which seems to make sense because MySQL requires a handshake and NSSocket doesn't know how to respond to that handshake. To perform the handshake, it seems I need to descend into BSD sockets.

This is incorrect. A "connection refused" error in this context means that you're either trying to connect to a host/port which is not configured to accept a connection, or the host is behind a firewall which blocks incoming connections. In this case, it's probably the former. But what you're probably running into here is simply the fact that MySQL doesn't accept TCP connections at all by default - instead, it uses a UNIX domain socket in either /var/tmp/mysql.sock or /tmp/ mysql.sock.

More to the point, though, why are you trying to reimplement the MySQL client library? You haven't even gotten to the wire protocol yet, which I guarantee is going to pose you even more problems than just connecting to the server. If you're just concerned about having to include the library, you can link statically against the libmysqlclient library to avoid having to drag the shared library around with you. (Note, however, that libmysqlclient is licensed under the GPL, so you'll need to talk to Sun if you want to use it in non- free software.)