On Dec 12, 2008, at 12:50 PM, Thomas Clement wrote:

The image was 14340 x 14173 (8-bit RGB with no alpha).

Also I got these messages in the console:
kernel[0]: (default pager): [KERNEL]: no space in available paging segments
malloc: *** mmap(size=1073741824) failed (error code=12)
*** error: can't allocate region
Attempt to allocate 1073741824 bytes for NS/CFData failed

Yup, your running into malloc() and VM space issues.

What approach should I take to handle large images?

I don't think there is an equivalent to this in AppKit, but you can do this using Core Graphics & ImageIO. The MassiveImage sample demonstrates how you can stream very large images (up to 32k x 32k iirc) to disk.

<http://developer.apple.com/samplecode/MassiveImage/index.html>
--
David Duncan
Apple DTS Animation and Printing