When you create an iPhone app, in the AppDelegate, why is the
UIWindow created locally within -applicationDidFinishLaunching and not
declared
as an ivar? The functionality does not seem to change either way. I'd
like to know how one approach is better than the other.

What I presume is that the window object really doesn't need to be accessed
from outside later. But doesn't declaring it as an ivar make it more
accessible from the "outside" allowing greater application extensibility?

@implementation AppDelegate

- (void) applicationDidFinishLaunching:(UIApplication*) application
{
   UIWindow* window = ... ;
   [window addSubView: ...];
   [window makeKeyAndVisible];