On 15 Dec 2008, at 17:59, Mike Abdullah wrote:

On 15 Dec 2008, at 16:53, Dave wrote:

On 15 Dec 2008, at 16:31, Bill Bumgarner wrote:

On Dec 15, 2008, at 7:29 AM, Dave wrote:
I've being experimenting since I wrote the above. My installation consists of a folder that contains an application. I want the folder to be created in "/Applications", however, it doesn't seem to let me do this. I end up with just the .app file in "/Applications", not a folder with the app inside it as I expected. So, how do I get it to create a folder that contains my app file?

Why doesn't drag and drop work?

AFAIK it does work, but my boss wants to be able to display a "T&C" page etc. and he wants an installer. Also it isn't a straight forward .app file, it's an App file that is in a folder that also also contains other folders/files.

Does your app *have* to be in /Applications? If so, that means all the users with non-admin accounts won't be able to install the app (and if you require read/write to anything in that folder, they can't use it either-- nor can multiple users on one machine).

No, it doesn't have to be in "/Applications", but this is the recommended place to put it if you want it to be accessible to all users on the machine, isn't it? If not where does it get stored? That's where every other app is stored and it's where it has been stored up until now (using the AppleScript Installer) and I haven't had any problems reported of people not being able to access it, or are you saying it won't be accessible using a PackageMaker installer?

But consider a user who ISN'T an administrator, or who wants to the run/install the application just for themselves, not all people. They'd want to place your application somewhere else. e.g. ~/ Applications/ Drag and drop gives them the freedom to choose. (On a personal note, I like to test applications from within the DMG before installing if possible too).

With a T&C page, you could also make that part of your app and display it on the first launch.

But that isn't the requirement, we just want it installed in "/ Applications" and accessible to all users, that's it!

All the Best
Dave