> I've done it that way when debugging threads. It doesn't take long; none of
> the calls take very long,

But there's still a difference, right? And when called or passed through
alot, that small difference can become really big.

> especially when compared to what goes on when
> writing to a log anyway.

Yeah, on top of the file locking, there's the slow IO.

The fwrite was just an example. We actually do our debugging through memory
first (ofcourse, there's still locking) and then another debugger thread
does the writing so the real application threads do not have to block on the
IO.