Well, it's been a long time since I worked on a loginwindow replacement, but I think it was when Tiger was released, I had to split my code into two mechanisms , one privileged - which could have no GUI, and could write to at least /tmp and the global Preferences directory and then a non-privileged that could do GUI, but obviously no I/O.

Does this sync with how your code is structured?

You set whether or not the mechanism was priviledged in the authorization file. Our installer copied the original authorization file and then modified entries in our new copy of the file. You want to keep a backup - just in case - otherwise your reinstalling OS X if you find a bug.

Also, what's in asl.log? If I made a mistake, any errors were reported there. Have you looked?

Just a thought but have you asked your question over at apple-cdsa? Conrad Saurald (probably spelt that incorrectly) should be able to point you in the right direction?

John